My thoughts on the Fuji X-T4

February 26, 2020

Fujifilm just announced the X-T4, the successor to the X-T3, which was arguably one of their most popular crop sensor cameras. The X-T4 looks like a great camera, since it's the 4th iteration of basically the same camera. Judging by the DP Review Gallery, the camera takes fine pictures, but I can't really see much difference from the pictures taken with the X-T3. That's because it's exactly the same 26.1 mpxl sensor. Fuji doesn't innovate in sensor technology, they basically just buy 1 sensor from Sony and put it into nearly every X camera out there. Fuji customers don't seem to mind, but for me it's a big issue, because there's really not much innovation in terms of image quality when it comes to Fuji X cameras.

This is basically the X-T3S

What they basically do every time is add 1 new jpeg filter, so that they have a few more things to claim as different (because there isn't much new in reality). What is new is the flip out screen, the same one I had in my Nikon D300 years ago. That's nice for some people, but I don't need it. The second thing is IBIS (In-Body Image Stabilization), something that most cameras in that price range already had. It's nice that Fuji finally caught up to the current standard. That's basically everything that is truly different. They put in a bigger battery so the camera takes 100 more shots per charge (from 390 to 500), the camera can now shoot 15 fps, and I wonder who will need that, since Fuji doesn't have much telephoto glass to pair it with. But I guess Fuji users don't really care, they usually shoot with standard kit zooms, because most of the faster primes are egregiously overpriced.

Speaking of overpriced, the X-T4 entered the chat. Fuji now charges 200 USD more than they charged for the X-T3 which cost 1500 USD at the launch. 1700 USD for a general purpose crop camera is not reasonable in my opinion when you can get much better full frame cameras at a similar price: Sony A7iii (1800 USD), Nikon Z6 (1800 USD), and Canon EOS R (1800 USD). What I assume Fuji is doing here is they must still have a high inventory of X-T3 cameras, and they want to sell them out with this price gap that is artificially created. The X-T3 is currently discounted at 1300 USD on various US online retailers. I believe once stocks are cleared, the X-T4 will drop their price. So if you're really interested in this camera, don't buy it now, wait a few months. Also you don't want to be a beta-tester. Fuji is notorious for bad quality control, the X-Pro3 turned out to be a disaster, it had tons of software and hardware issues, to an extent that there was even a recall in Australia. According to DP Review, the X-T4's pre-production sample had a lot of issues, too. Check their review and make up your own mind. I'm personally not going to buy Fuji anymore, I burned my hands in the past, and wasted a lot of money, so I decided to stick with Nikon, because the quality and durability is way better.

What's your opinion on the Fuji X-T4? Do you plan to buy one?

4 comments:

1. Overpriced crop camera, I still can't figure out why people gush over these cameras, only to take photos of random HDR backyard flowers then use the excuse "good cuz Fuji". As you pointed out you can get full frame cameras that can do everything you could need for a similar price with an enormous selection of native lenses. It's like they release half a camera then spend the next year drip feeding the rest of the it in firmware updates.

ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not really sure the X-T3 "needed" an upgrade, though I think a lot of people who want shortcuts for their technique will appreciate the IBIS. However, I definitely won't be buying the X-T4. The X-T3 is one of the nicest cameras that I've ever used in 35 years of taking pictures. It does everything I want it to do. With the grip (or with the little Meike bottom plate grip) the ergonomics are really nice, and without it, it pairs well with the little Fujicron lenses. It started out as a personal camera but now I use it for clients and they are very happy with the results. To me, personally, it's a much more user friendly camera than the Z6, which I owned and later returned. I didn't like the Z6's lack of external controls, EVF, size-to-weight, or placement of the Fn buttons. Like any consumer brand, I find Fuji hit-or-miss. Once you find lenses you like, you need the right body to go with them. I still have a few F-mount lenses I really like and for that reason will probably always have a Nikon DSLR.

ReplyDelete
  3. I tend to agree with what you wrote. I have a friend who has bought an X-T3 end of last year, and he's totally not crazy to sell it and get the X-T4. One thing is, he doesn't want to lose money, another thing is, he doesn't shoot video, only stills, where the two are nearly identical.

ReplyDelete
  4. Useless fuji crop cameras, never going to win against Sony or any other full frame camera manufacturer. Ken if you're reading this: suck it! you know I'm right. Peace out girl-scout :)

ReplyDelete

Please comment on topic. Spam, off-topic stuff, and hate speech will be removed.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.